Educate caring, capable leaders for the church and the country!
Encourage competent teachers to stay in Christian Schools!
Teach peaceful problem solving and increase health!
Find out how you can help! The end of this article includes a link to the 2018 Build Congo Schools Brochure.
VISION AND GOALS: The Presbyterian Church of the Congo (CPC) convened Congolese and US education professionals in 2007, 2008 and 2011 to create and implement an Education Strategic Plan to strengthen its schools. This Plan is now called Build Congo Schools. BCS’s vision is to provide quality, Christ-centered educations equally for girls and boys in remote rural regions, as well as in urban areas. Its goals are to transform fragile Primary and Secondary School buildings into durable, well-equipped centers with well-trained teachers — rotating these constructions between the Kananga, Mbuyi Mayi and Mweka regions to bring “hope” to all.
BUILDING SCHOOLS BENEFITS MANY: In the past 6 years, U.S. churches and caring individuals funded the replacement of 8 mud and thatch schools with brick and tin. Congolese Church leaders built and equipped these schools using local products and local labor. Local church members provided food and water for construction workers and security for materials. Partnerships were built that benefited families, churches and local business, as well as, students and teachers.
IMPACT OF THE NEW SCHOOLS:
- teaching and learning improved
- test scores rose
- over 4000 students and their teachers attended school “more regularly”, even during Congo’s 9-months of rain
- student enrollment increased dramatically after each durable schools was built
- the government accredited the new schools resulting in government pay for the teachers and more teacher training
- 6 new high schools were created in the new buildings; therefore, many more students are completing high school
- latrines and water catchment systems improved hygiene, reduced illness and improved girls’ attendance
- retention of girls improved because pastors and school leaders advocated with parents in churches for girls’ to stay in school. Girls learned about improving their future families’ incomes, educations and health by delaying marriage and finishing school (or returning to school after leaving to work or to give birth)
HOW CAN YOU HELP? BECOME A BCS PARTNER!
DONATE TO DIBATAYI SCHOOL at buildcongoschools.org
Consider giving the gifts listed below:
Dibatayi School Needs
|Student Wooden Benches including assembly (labor)||$6,000|
|Teachers & principals desks & chairs||$565|
|Corrugated Tin Sheets for roof with lumber and nails||$7,532|
|All wood window & doors including paint for doors||$3,490|
|Cement for all blackboards including paint & special brushes||$674|
|Girls and Boys latrines (Cement, Sand and Fabrication)||$1,315|
|Cistern for water storage and personal health of students||$2,900|
|Foundation cement blocks, re-bar, stakes and general foundation items.||$7,240|
|Wall bricks, sand and cement||$7,550|
YOURS IN CHRIST,
BUILD CONGO SCHOOLS
Co-Chairs: Janet Sullivan – firstname.lastname@example.org and Anne Crane email@example.com
Treasurer: George Collins – firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information:
Janet Sullivan – email@example.com
George Collins – firstname.lastname@example.org